Healthy educated girls realize their dreams. Make it happen. Let’s keep Kenyan girls in school by providing them with sanitary towels.
850,000 Kenyan girls miss 3-5 days of school per month due to lack of sanitary towels. This deliberate absenteeism is mainly a result of lack of financial resources to afford the cost of conventional sanitary towels available in the market.
Most of these girls as well as women are forced to use unhygienic clothing materials to keep dry during their menses, a situation that on many occasions causes embarrassment, as the materials are leaky. To avoid such situations, girls avoid school while women curtail certain social engagements.
The lack of affordable sanitary pads in the market is among the key contributors to the high school dropout rate among girls in Kenya. Eventually, these girls are condemned to a vicious poverty circle.
Studies show that providing sanitary towels for girls:
1. Reduces absenteeism by 75%, from 4.9 days to only 1.2 days per month;
2. Enables girls to stay in the classroom and learn enough to advance to the next grade level;
3. Prevents girls from controlling menstruation through risky, unhygienic methods.
With your help, Victoria Sports Association seeks to change this by providing 320 girls in 4 schools in Kileleshwas primary School, Highridge Primary School and North Highridge Primary school in Nairobi and Onding Primary School in Siaya Kenya with sanitary towels for a whole year.
What We Need & What You Get
For this project to succeed we need USD ($) 8,000.
- $5,000 will be used to purchase 250 cartons of sanitary towels with 24 packets with 8 pieces of high quality sanitary towels.
- $800 Monitoring and Evaluation
- $800 Project Administration (communication costs, stationery and cartridges)
- $1,400 Project staff facilitation and allowances
If we don’t reach our target and we get around $ 6,000 we will still use the $5,000 for sanitary towels and look for in kind donations for some administrative requirements and volunteers for monitoring and evaluation.
Girls in rural Gem and urban Nairobi will get to stay in school and perform better at par or even better than boys. This will also significantly reduce the rate of girls’ school dropouts and their engagement in vices such as commercial sex work.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you are not in a position to donate to this campaign, please market us to your friends and family who would be in a position to help us. With little you go a long way to help a girl in Kenya stay in school and perform better.
Learn more about our related causes: